A well-known Thanksgiving dinner may be tough to plan once you’re vegetarian or vegan. However, your vegan or vegetarian Thanksgiving can nonetheless be hearty, conventional, and scrumptious.
Jump-start your preparation for a delicious vegetarian or vegan Thanksgiving meal with these three mouth-watering recipes that may stuff even your carnivore buddies.
Stuffing-Stuffed Whole Cauliflower
For starters: a good Thanksgiving centerpiece roasted within the oven and stuffed to the gills. Vegetarian turkey substitutes might be arduous to seek out.
- Kosher salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 1/Four kilos)
- three slices nation white bread, toasted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/Four cup grated Parmesan
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 10 recent sage leaves
- half cup recent flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon recent thyme leaves
- Half vegetable bouillon dice
- 1 giant egg
- Position a rack within the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Bring a closely salted giant pot of water to a boil over excessive warmth (the water ought to be very salty — much more than the ocean). Carefully take away as a lot of the cauliflower stem as you’ll be able to with out slicing any of the stalk or the florets away. Remove all the leaves together with any small inside ones.
- Boil the cauliflower head till it’s simply tender, 6 to eight minutes. (Take care to not overcook, or it’ll break aside as your stuff it.) Carefully take away the top from the water and permit to empty and funky.
- Meanwhile, brush 2 items of bread with 1 tablespoon butter every. Cut into 1/Four-inch cubes (it’s necessary that the cubes be this small or it won’t pipe out of the bag) and switch to a medium bowl. Finely chop the remaining piece of unbuttered bread and pulse in a food processor till it consists of effective crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and the Parmesan, pulsing till mixed. Transfer to a small bowl and put aside. Wipe out the bowl of the food processor.
- Pulse the celery, sage, parsley, thyme, bouillon dice, egg, 2 tablespoons water, half teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper within the food processor till very finely chopped and moist. Fold the vegetable combination into the bread cubes and stir till clean and pipable. Transfer to a giant pastry bag (or a 1-gallon freezer bag) and minimize a three/Four-inch opening on the tip.
- Turn the cauliflower over, stem-side up, and begin piping the filling in between the stalks of the florets till you’ve used about half of the filling. Use your fingers to push the filling down into the holes of the cauliflower. Fill the remainder of the cauliflower with the remaining filling. (Use all the filling, even when it seems just like the cauliflower goes to blow up — it gained’t.) Transfer to the ready baking sheet, stem-side down.
- Brush the surface of the cauliflower with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Press the Parmesan-breadcrumb combination evenly over the cauliflower. Bake till the cauliflower is smooth and may simply be pierced with a fork and the breadcrumbs are a deep golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, reduce the cauliflower into wedges, sprinkle with salt to style, and serve.
Chickpea and Winter Vegetable Stew
Perfect for a chilly almost-winter November day, chickpea stew will depart everybody on the desk wanting extra. It’s hearty, flavorful, straightforward, and among the many most artistic vegetarian turkey substitutes for a vegetarian Thanksgiving — take a look at Cooking Light’s recipe here!
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) slices leek
- 1/2 teaspoon floor coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/eight teaspoon floor cumin
- 1/eight teaspoon floor pink pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- three 2/three cups Simple Vegetable Stock, divided
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) slices carrot
- three/Four cup (1-inch) cubed peeled Yukon gold potato
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- three/Four teaspoon salt
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and every minimize into eight wedges (about 2 medium)
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1/Four cup chopped recent flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/three cups raw couscous
- eight lemon wedges
- Heat oil in a giant saucepan over medium-high warmth. Add onion and leek; sauté 5 minutes. Add coriander and subsequent Four elements (via garlic); prepare dinner 1 minute, stirring always. Add three cups Simple Vegetable Stock and the subsequent eight elements (by means of chickpeas); deliver to a boil. Cover, scale back warmth, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and honey.
- Remove 2/three cup scorching cooking liquid from squash combination. Place cooking liquid and remaining 2/three cup inventory in a medium bowl. Stir in couscous. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Fluffy, garlicky, vegan, and scrumptious — to not point out the star of your vegan Thanksgiving — what’s to not love about Loving it Vegan’s mashed potatoes?
- Four giant potatoes
- Head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Four tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/Four-1/2 cup soy milk (or different non-dairy milk)
- Sea salt and black pepper (to style)
- Fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 430 levels F. To make your roasted garlic, peel the top after which chop off simply the tips of the cloves. Rub 1 teaspoon of olive oil into the garlic and wrap in foil. Close the foil and bake for 35 minutes till completely roasted.
- Peel and halve the potatoes, after which slice every half into quarters. Place the potatoes into a pot and canopy with water. Bring to a boil and prepare dinner coated for round 20-25 minutes, till smooth.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water from the pot and depart the potatoes behind within the pot, permitting them to take a seat for a jiffy; any remaining water on the potatoes will dry off.
- Add the vegan butter and mash it in with a potato masher.
- Then add the soy milk, beginning with 1/Four cup and mashing it in; if it nonetheless appears a little dry, add one other 1/Four cup of soy milk.
- By this time the garlic ought to be roasted. Remove them from the foil and smash them with a fork. Then mash them in with the potatoes.
- Lastly, add sea salt and black pepper to style.
- Garnish with recent chives and serve.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie
No Thanksgiving is full with out pie. With a few easy substitutions, Food Network makes it straightforward to have scrumptious pumpkin pie everybody can take pleasure in. (Not a pumpkin lover? Try this apple crisp instead!)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 tablespoon vegan granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Fine salt
- 1/2 cup unrefined virgin or extra-virgin coconut oil (packed)
- Four to six tablespoons ice water
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- eight ounces silken tofu
- 2/three cup vegan granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- half teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fine salt
- Put the flour, sugar, vinegar, and half teaspoon salt into a food processor, and pulse to mix. Add coconut oil in small spoonfuls, and pulse till the most important items are pea-sized. Add Four tablespoons ice water, pulsing till evenly mixed. Squeeze a handful of the dough collectively; it ought to simply maintain its form. If the combination is just too powdery, pulse in a further 1 to 2 tablespoons of ice water. Turn the dough out onto a giant piece of plastic wrap, pat into a 1/2-inch-thick disc, and chill for no less than 1 hour, as much as in a single day.
- To make rolling simpler, let the dough soften a bit — it ought to be barely tender when pressed at room temperature (this will take anyplace from 20 to 40 minutes relying on the temperature of your kitchen). Roll the disc into a 12-inch spherical on a flippantly floured floor. If the dough will get too heat, refrigerate it to agency it up. Ease the crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold the overhanging dough beneath itself; crimp the sting as desired. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Position an oven rack within the middle of the oven; preheat to 350 levels F. Line the chilled pie crust with a giant espresso filter or foil, and fill with pie weights. Bake till the sides are calmly golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the espresso filter or foil and weights, and proceed baking till the crust is frivolously golden throughout, 15 to 20 minutes extra. Transfer to a rack, let cool utterly.
- Filling: Blend the pumpkin puree, tofu, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and 1/Four teaspoon salt in a food processor till utterly clean, scraping down the edges of the bowl as wanted.
- Pour the filling into the parbaked pie shell, and bake till agency and set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool utterly on a rack. Chill for a minimum of 2 hours, as much as in a single day. Slice and serve.