From Souk by Nadia Zerouali and Merijn Tol. Recipe and photograph reprinted in association with Smith Street Books.
This recipe is one in every of many deliciously spiced and flavorful recipes from the brand new guide Souk, which options an array of mezze dishes to please the senses. Mezze is a well-liked approach of consuming within the Middle East, just like tapas in Spain, the place the fashion is to serve quite a lot of cold and hot small plates to encourage sharing and savoring the dishes.
Stuffed Eggplant With Bulgur, Walnuts And Mint
Serves four to six
- 2 white onions
- 2¾ oz. walnuts
- ½ bunch recent mint leaves, picked, plus additional to serve
- 3½ oz. advantageous bulgur
- 2¼ oz. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp dried mint
- 1–2 tsp Turkish pink pepper flakes (pul biber or Aleppo pepper)
- Mild-tasting olive oil
- three agency eggplants
- Turkish yogurt
- Chop the onions, walnuts and mint leaves very finely and mix in a bowl with the bulgur, tomato paste, dried mint, purple pepper flakes and salt to style. Mix in a big spoonful of olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to the very best setting. Cut the eggplants in half lengthways and scoop out a number of the flesh (hold it for soup or a dip). Place the eggplants on a baking tray and fill them with the bulgur combination. Drizzle with some oil, and sprinkle with just a little extra salt and pink pepper. Cook the eggplants in the midst of the recent oven till golden brown and cooked via.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with some recent mint leaves and with some creamy yogurt on the aspect.