This easy-to-make pasta recipe makes use of nutrient-rich broccoli rabe to make a creamy pesto sauce. Plus, it accommodates virtually half your advised every day protein per serving.
Executive Chef Jennifer McKelvey, CEC, CCA, FMP cooked up this healthy fare in the course of the Healthy Cooking and Eating with the Steelers occasion at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC.
Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe Pesto
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Serving Size: four
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 1/2 cup pistachios, toasted
- three/four cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Salt to style
- 1/four cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 lb. orecchiette pasta
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil and arrange a bowl of salted ice water.
- Cook the broccoli rabe within the boiling water for 1-2 minutes after which instantly place into ice water.
- Drain the broccoli rabe and squeeze out any extra water.
- Coarsely chop the broccoli rabe and place right into a food processor. Puree till it’s a coarse paste.
- Add pistachios and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to the broccoli rabe and puree till clean. Add ricotta and pulse till mixed.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta for 1 minute lower than cooking time on package deal.
- While pasta is cooking, place the pesto in a big skillet and add about 1-1/2 cups of pasta cooking water; place over medium-high warmth and convey to a simmer.
- Add pasta and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
Serving Size – 1 cup
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories – 420
- Total Fat -14g
- Saturated Fat – four.4g
- Trans Fat – 0g
- Cholesterol – 20mg
- Sodium – 290mg
- Total Carbohydrate – 54g
- Dietary Fiber – 4g
- Total Sugars – 2g
- Protein – 22g