Frozen meals have a critical stigma. Many individuals consider them as processed junk, filled with nasty elements or simply plain ‘yuck.’ But the meals that reside in your freezer can truly be a healthy lifesaver in a time crunch. If you’re skeptical about frozen meals, we’ve acquired 5 the reason why you must rethink them.
- Save time. I’m an enormous advocate for ditching the take-out and cooking from scratch. With that being stated, I’m additionally real looking about how a lot time is required to make a selfmade meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When you’re in a time crunch and don’t need to look forward to (or spend the cash on) a restaurant meal, a well-stocked freezer may be your saving grace. Whether it’s a frozen meal, frozen veggies that you would be able to throw right into a stir-fry or frozen fruit for a smoothie, these components get rid of the prep work and should even be more healthy than should you have been to order off Seamless.
- Save cash. Don’t all of us like to economize for operating sneakers, new operating garments and race sign-ups? I do know I positive do! But most runners additionally know that consuming healthy is vital to operating at your greatest. How are you able to stability the necessity to purchase pricey produce with the will to spend on enjoyable equipment? Frozen meals are less expensive than recent, particularly on the subject of produce. And you don’t lose any vitamins by shopping for this manner (extra on that later). If your go-to meals often have cooked veggies, then sub in frozen for recent. You gained’t be capable of inform the distinction within the remaining dish, and your pockets will thanks!
- Eat out of season. There’s no rule that claims you’ll be able to’t purchase blueberries or cherries within the lifeless of winter, however there’s additionally no cause that you need to. Not solely do they style dangerous, they may value you an arm and a leg. But there’s an exception to that rule—frozen produce. It’s good all yr spherical, making it a cheap and attractive strategy to eat out of season.
- It’s good for you! Fresh produce must be picked, processed, packaged and transported earlier than it reaches your grocery store. During that course of, it loses vitamins. Frozen produce is picked and frozen instantly, sealing in all the peak vitamins. Both recent and frozen product is superb for you, however one study in contrast the vitamins in eight several types of recent and frozen vegatables and fruits and located that, in some instances, the frozen veggies contained extra vitamins than the recent.
- Frozen food lasts eternally. Technically, frozen food is suitable for eating indefinitely. There are some exceptions to that rule, like freezer-burned food or uncooked meat that has modified colour. But for those who’ve acquired an unopened bag of frozen fruits or veggies in your freezer for a yr, it gained’t go dangerous!
Hopefully I’ve satisfied you to offer frozen meals a attempt. As a beginning off level, listed here are 5 frozen meals each runner ought to have available.
- Frozen bananas. I’m horrible at shopping for bananas. They are all the time both inexperienced or brown, and I not often get to eat them when they’re ripe. That’s why I’m an enormous advocate for freezing bananas as soon as they’ve ripened. They make a terrific addition to smoothies, however ensure you peel them earlier than freezing. I’ve discovered that the onerous means!
- Frozen edamame. This is likely one of the best protein-rich snacks round. Buy frozen edamame pods, stick them within the microwave for one or two minutes, sprinkle with salt and eat fo post-run restoration.
- Frozen berries. As you now know, frozen berries style good all yr spherical, even once they aren’t in season. They are wealthy in antioxidants and make an amazing addition to a post-run smoothie.
- Praegers Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Bowl. On the weekends, I run within the morning and eat a big breakfast afterwards. After a long term, the very last thing I need to do is prepare dinner up an enormous meal, so I attain into my freezer for one among these bowls. It has 14 grams of protein and tastes like a Mexican fiesta! If it was a very strenuous run, I’ll add an additional egg to the bowl to spherical it out to a good 20 grams of protein. But even when I don’t have the time, this hearty bowl is filled with protein and fiber to maintain me full all morning.
- Trader Joe’s Veggie Fried Rice. During the week, I run after work and don’t all the time really feel like cooking a full meal afterwards. That’s once I add this veggie fried rice to my meal. It cooks in lower than two minutes and is filled with veggies and attractive rice. Pro tip: Add some frozen edamame to this for some much-needed protein!